The bunned-up sausage, extended by the now-defunct Seattle food vehicle Tokyo Dog, holds the Guinness title for World’s Most Expensive Hot Dog to now. According to documents, the Juuni Ban was a Bavarian sausage “instilled with cheddar” and offered on buttered, toasted brioche, covered with seared maitakes, foie gras, Wagyu beef, black truffles, onions, and also relish. (Tokyo Dog’s trademark offering– the same dog with a more modest garnish– was a modest $8, comparative.).
I came across the hulking Juuni Ban seven years later while investigating how to prepare a hot dog for Absolute Best Tests. While I had not been able to get to Tokyo Dog’s owners, Eugene Woo and Samson Kwong, to speak chef techniques, I discovered a 28-minute video clip from August 2014, in which joyful host Asha Leo goes to the truck for a complete procedural rundown.
Their cook method was basic however efficient: They first warmed the cheddar-suffused sampling in metal containers of warm water– most likely to decrease the threat of a cheese surge– before transferring it to a warm grill, where they turned it over an open flame until it got to an interior temperature level of 160 ° F.
Though I had no plans to unload my merchandise for hundreds of bucks, I took relief in the Tokyo Dog method because it declared a hunch: Simpleness is vital when preparing a hot dog. No special devices were utilized, no TikTok hacks employed, and still, a pet of terrific worldwide import was created. Considered that my trials would be cheddar-free, I figured I could miss the water-warming step, though I did include a remarkable double-underline to “Grill” on my list of approaches.
Toward the completion of that Tokyo Dog section, the host raises the infant-sized frank to her mouth, proclaiming happily, “Oh, the memes that are going to originate from this!” After a couple of moments’ factors to consider, she takes a tiny bite while the pet dog’s designers chant, “chew, chew, chew.” Several tense secs pass as she masticates before she declares the World’s Most Expensive Hot Dog both “incredible” as well as “incredible.”.
Keeping that as my standard– and after confirming that there was no one in the vicinity to chant “eat, eat, eat”– I laid out to check nine techniques of hot dog culinary.
I made use of all-beef hotdogs for each trial. For the sacredness of results, I did preliminary sampling rounds sans dressings. Still, I would certainly such as the record to show that my preferred garnishes are catsup, yellow mustard, as well as raw diced onion, which if you’re going to serve me a hotdog on anything yet an untoasted Martin’s potato bun, you might as well not welcome me.
Round One: To Portion Or Not To Slice?
For the juiciest hotdog, do not slice it. This does invite risk, as hotdogs without a vent for steam may blow up in particular conditions– yet I think it’s a threat worth taking. Mostly if, like me, you are cooking hot dogs that hold no molten cheese.
The No-Cut hot dogs produced by my Round One tests were visibly juicier (and more prominent, having maintained a lot more liquid) than the Spiral-Cut as well as Slashed hot dogs, with the Slashed hotdogs in the second location.
If juiciness is much less of a concern than aesthetic allure, you might take into consideration accepting the Spiral-Cut, which elicited a not-immaterial quantity of joy. And also, if garnishes are your best priority, resort to the Slashed, which provides a moat for ketchup and mustard to serve as glue for tiny cut toppings like onion, herbs, marinaded radish, or crushed potato chips.
- Location a cast-iron frying pan over medium-high warm. Add 1 tbsp of butter.
- When the butter has foamed, and the foam has decreased, add one hot dog to the skillet.
- Sear, changing every minute, till plumped and beginning to brown on each side, 3 to 4.
- Location a cast-iron skillet over medium-high warm. Add 1 tbsp of butter.
- On the other hand, cut one side of a hotdog lengthwise, regarding 1/3-inch deep.
- Once the butter has frothed and the foam has diminished, include one hot dog in the skillet. Sear, moving every minute, up until plumped and starting to brown on each side, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place a cast-iron frying pan over medium-high warm. Include one tablespoon of butter.
- Meanwhile, slice a hot dog crosswise in a spiral pattern, regarding 1/3-inch deep.
- Once the butter has lathered and the foam has gone away, include one hot dog in the skillet. Sear, changing every minute or so, till plumped and brownish on each side, 3 to 4 mins.
Round Two: In What Way To Cook A Hot Dog.
For a well-browned hotdog with notes of campfire, consider the Roast Over Flame or Grill techniques. Both generated tender specimens with well-seared cases that brought extra scorchy flavors beyond the common salty, meaningful ones. (For a well-browned dog with notes just of browned butter, simply Stovetop Sear.).
For the juiciest, most flavorful pet dog, Boil in Beer, and also, you’ll end up with a plump competitor that tastes a lot more like a hot dog than any other hot dog. For a highly succulent pet with soft flavor– for when you’d such as dressings to radiate– Boil in Water. Despite the stigma, both methods led to plump hot dogs with specifically plush interiors, closer in appearance to a terrific Weisswurst than to the rubbery dogs of childhood years lunchrooms.
For a hotdog that best impersonates one, you would certainly get at a ballpark or from those exciting turning shelves at a convenience store. Think about utilizing your Slow Cooker if you’ve obtained 4 hours to spare. (Note: This is similar to the method used by Nathan’s, the morning of their yearly hot-dog-eating contest.).
You can avoid the Microwave, which yielded an abnormally tough covering and created the hot dog to burst, in addition to the Stovetop Steam & Sear, which resulted in much more minor browning on the outside and inside that was no juicier than the Stovetop Sear.
- Location a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp of butter.
- As soon as the butter has lathered and the foam has diminished, add one hot dog to the frying pan.
- Sear, shifting every minute or so, up until plumped and starting to brown on each side, 3 to 4.
Stovetop Steam & Sear.
- Add water to a cast-iron skillet till it climbs about 1/2 inch up the sides.
- Place the frying pan over medium-high warmth and also chef until the water starts to boil.
- Add one hotdog to the pan along with 1 tbsp of butter. Sear on each side up until the water has.
Steamed off, and also the hotdog is plump as well as beginning to brown.
Adapted from sumproject.
- Bring a tiny pot of water to a boil.
- Include one hot dog. Boil uncovered for 4 to 6 mins, up until the hot dog has plumped up on all sides.
- Remove with tongs and also drainpipe on a paper-towel-lined plate.
Boil In Beer.
Adapted from My Gourmet Connection.
- Empty a couple of beer cans right into a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Include one hotdog. Boil uncovered for 4 to 6 mins until the hot dog has plumped up on all sides.
- Eliminate with tongs as well as drainpipe on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Warmth the grill to medium-high.
- Include one hot dog to the grill, rolling onto a brand-new side every minute or two, until evenly browned and prepared through, 3 to 4 minutes total.
- Warmth the oven to 400 ° F.
- Location a hotdog in a roasting frying pan or on a rimmed sheet frying pan.
- Toast the hot dog for about 15 minutes, until plumped as well as starting to brownish.
Location a hot dog on a heatproof plate lined with paper towels.
Microwave above for 45 secs to 1 minute, up until the facility of the hotdog is cozy to the touch.
Adapted from Boulder Locavore.
- Include a hot dog in the slow cooker, leaning upright against the sluggish cooker’s inner wall surface.
Support. Do not include water!
- Prepare on a reduced setting for 4 hrs.
Roast Over Flame.
- Thread a steel skewer through a hotdog.
- Hold it over an open fire, such as among your heaters set on high or a campfire.
- Rotate the hot dog every 30 secs or two, until browned as well as cooked through, 2 to 3 mins.